Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Italian Musicman Rice

Its been a while since I wrote anything here eh?
Tonight however, I could not resist!!
I have invented a new recipe and well, my mom and dad loved it...but you can't always count on folks for a realistic review (Actually my dad you can...but that's a different story :)...but I thought that maybe you could try it yourself and tell me what you think as well)

I choose to call the thing Italian Musicman Rice (Keeping the brand name alive everywhere, I am:)
Heh.

Well here's how it came about (A bit of history and the reason why this dish was invented.)
Like many of you out there, I didn't like a thing made at dinner tonight...and I thought I'd go to bed with just a bit of water and some biscuits. Well that was at 10pm :) and it's about 12:30 right now and I'm still up and just like any other growing boy I got hungry. It is most often at such hungry moments that inspiration chooses to strike me and tonight it did :)

I brought myself to the fridge and saw my options. There was some rice, some boiled potatoes and a mashed potato spicy mix (Made to be put inside parathas or sandwiches).
I knew that these were to be my chief ingredients. I had just bought myself a jar of Italian herbs and spices (Always great to have in the kitchen). (Mix of oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme and marjolaine...simply brilliant stuff. Twas a Forelli bottle that I picked up from the local dollar store as they are called for just 99rs. Fab stuff indeed.)
But as always, I digress. The food. Ah...well...here's what I did.

I took me a saucepan (Handed to me by a perplexed mom to be precise) and put some olive oil in it (Always good to use olive oil. you can't make Italian stuff without olive oil...I mean come on...you've gotta think of them 'talians. They'd be offended if we used groundnut or some other such oil).
Right then. Olive oil...let it heat...put in some garlic and chilli paste and let it just heat up a bit.
Then add the mashed potatos (Which basically had a bit of salt, more of the garlic and chilly paste and some coriander in it to begin with) and let em cook a bit.
Now add the spices (Italian herbs) generously and mix em well.
Take a couple of cheese slices and put em in. Mix em till they melt.
Put a bit of butter for fun :)
Add some chopped green olives (Fab taste at the end. Gives the tang you need with the rice and chillis)
And mix this thing well.
Now the finale,
Add the rice (Steamed rice obviously. For god's sake don't put uncooked rice...you'll get some crazy thing and mail me and curse me. So yes. Steamed rice)

And mix it all. Let it heat up just a wee bit (Basically because, most of the stuff came out straight out of the fridge :)
Right...serve on a plate and voila!!
Italian Musicman Rice is ready!!! :)


Mmmmmmmm just back from eating this.
So...what do you think? Lemme know!

No comments: